Front-End Web Developer (Contractor: Web)
Freedom of the Press Foundation
Freedom of the Press Foundation is seeking a contract frontend developer to implement frontend web components for our websites including Freedom.press, the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker, and SecureDrop.org.
We’re a small team of web developers working on high impact projects. Our focus this year will be on implementing a redesign of Freedom.press. The visual design is currently in development by a design agency and our team will be implementing it in our CMS.
Our ideal candidate knows React and, though not necessarily a designer, can take partially mocked up or specified features and flesh them out into working components that fit within our design system.
This is a part-time contract for 6 months, with the possibility of renewal. You may be in any time zone but we prefer candidates who are available for communication during afternoon work hours EST.
Scope of Work
In coordination with Freedom of the Press Foundation’s Engineering Manager (Web):
- Implement and refine frontend components for Freedom.press, the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker, and SecureDrop.org.
- Integrate frontend components with Python APIs and server-side templates
- Improve frontend test coverage
- Additional tasks and projects as coordinated with the Engineering Manager (Web)
- Expertise in modern HTML and CSS as well as familiarity with accessibility and progressive enhancement techniques.
- Experience with React and JSX.
- UI/UX design competence is a plus.
- Experience with Python, Django, or Wagtail is not required, but is a plus.
Term of Contract
This is a part-time, hourly contract. The contract will commence on a mutually agreeable date no later than Mar 1, 2024 for an initial duration of 6 months.
Payments and Schedule
The contractor will be paid at a rate of $75/hour, up to 30 hours/week, invoiced monthly. The contractor will be solely responsible for paying any and all taxes incurred as a result of their compensation
Please indicate your availability in your response to this RFP.
FPF’s weekly web meetings currently take place Mondays and Wednesdays at 2:30 EST; we are flexible in negotiating the work schedule beyond that.