ABOUT FAST FORWARD
Tech is ubiquitous. Tech solutions for social problems are not. An emerging class of startups is building tech to solve these social problems. They are tech nonprofits. Fast Forward bridges the tech and nonprofit sectors to build capacity for tech nonprofits, so they can scale solutions to our world’s most urgent problems.
Fast Forward’s focus areas are its Startup Accelerator, Growth Accelerator, and partner programs that engage the broader tech ecosystem. To date, Fast Forward’s portfolio of tech nonprofits have impacted 139M lives and raised $519M in follow-on funding. 86% of the portfolio have a founder who has personal experience with the problem, 66% have a founder who is a woman, and 79% have a founder who is a person of color.
As the first and only organization focused exclusively on scaling startups that combine the best tech with sustainable nonprofit business models, Fast Forward’s mission is to accelerate impact. Visit us: http://www.ffwd.org.
Fast Forward is seeking a Communications Specialist to help change the narrative around tech and nonprofits. The Communications Specialist will manage PR and media initiatives at Fast Forward, raising visibility for tech nonprofits, Fast Forward, and our partners. The Communications Specialist will also coordinate event marketing, a major aspect of our work at Fast Forward, by brainstorming and executing strategies to increase event engagement.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, excellent communicator, and strong executor. They think outside of the box to push key messages forward. They understand – and are learning how to leverage - all aspects of media. They have experience creating impactful storylines that change the conversation.
This position is based in San Francisco, CA; it is a full-time, in-office role (no remote work).
- Develop and execute PR strategies that move the needle for the tech nonprofit sector. Help find new ways to bring the perspectives of Fast Forward and our portfolio of thought leaders into the conversation.
- Research and identify strategic opportunities, including events, awards, and speaking opportunities for Fast Forward’s founders and portfolio to get in front of the right audiences.
- Help with new events and initiatives to raise visibility for the sector.
- Support all PR activities, including developing PR strategy, managing and growing media list, writing pitches, pitching press, writing press releases, reporting on success of initiatives, etc. You will execute every stage of PR, supporting Fast Forward and our portfolio of tech nonprofits.
- Assist in developing relationships with key press.
- Support and work with tech nonprofits on PR and media.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to develop content and communications strategy/editorial calendar.
- Manage Fast Forward’s social media accounts, highlighting news and milestones of both Fast Forward and tech nonprofits.
- Support writing Fast Forward’s written content on an as-needed basis.
- Develop and manage event marketing for large-scale events, including Demo Days.
- Manage invite strategy, content, and execution.
- Manage event communications.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We're looking for someone with these specific traits and experience:
- 3+ years of experience in PR/Comms.
- Passionate about the impact and potential of social impact tech.
- Strategic thinker who can assist with an impactful PR/comms strategy.
- Strong communicator who has experience shaping a narrative.
- Growth mindset and proactive problem solver.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment.
- Unlimited paid time off (PTO)
- 401k retirement plan & employer matching
- Office is located in a beautiful national park - The Presidio - with free transit to/from downtown San Francisco!
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Most importantly, input on the office snack order
Note: In accordance with federal, state, and local safety guidelines, this role is expected to be performed in-person, in San Francisco.
Fast Forward is a social justice organization founded on the idea that those with proximity to the problem should have proximity to the power to fix them. Our true north is empowering tech nonprofit leaders with the tools, community, and capital they need to scale solutions for underserved groups, and we know that a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion is inextricable from that pursuit. Read our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Guidelines to learn how we approach DEI across our investments, community, and workplace.