Software Engineer / Data Systems Engineer [Remote, Global]
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2023
Do you want to work for a mission-driven non-profit, writing software that will contribute to helping the livelihoods of millions of coffee farmers around the world? Enveritas is a 501(c)3 non-profit and Y Combinator-backed startup looking to hire for our Data Team. You can learn more about this role and our Data Team at https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/data-eng/
We are looking for a Data Software Engineer with several years of professional experience to join our Data Team on a remote, full-time basis. Our Data Team is a six person team (soon to be seven!) working from Chile, Poland, Colombia, and the United States, and is part of our Engineering & Data Group — a quirky, talented, and humble group of about twenty with diverse backgrounds ranging from journalism to academia to international industry.
About Our Data Team
Our Data Team creates models, analysis, and visualizations to better understand our data about the climate, economic, and social conditions experienced by coffee farmers. Our Data Team team supports our Country Operations teams by creating tools (using Google Sheets API, SQLAlchemy, Airtables, and Looker) for them to detect outliers and glean insights from our survey data. We help our Partnerships team by creating PDF documents (using Python) for delivering sustainability insights. We create statistical and descriptive models (with a soft spot for Bayesian models) to understand issues like the cost of production farmers face, and how widespread poverty is among them.
Our programming languages of choice are Python and SQL (we use PostgreSQL), although some of our analysis is also done in R. We use git for version control, Github for hosting our repositories, and pytest for automated testing.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Building new features and adapting existing tools to improve their overall usefulness for our Country Operations teams. You will identify opportunities for improving our current workflows and our codebase. This will include using Python/SQL to build automated data workflows, reporting solutions, and more. Some of your work will include refactoring and adapting existing code to improve its robustness and quality.
- Improving the developer experience for our data analysts. You will be in charge of our Github repositories and infrastructure at AWS. This includes managing the build environments, maintaining our servers, and helping us with best coding practices in code reviews.
- Maintaining and upgrading our data pipelines. You will own our data ETLs and be responsible for their improvements and scalability. Our pipelines are written in Python running on Linux.
Who You Are
- While you can be located anywhere, our core hours are 10am to 2pm Eastern Time (currently UTC -4) Monday through Friday, with team members choosing either an early start or later stop as suits them. (We do have occasional meetings outside our core hours, but keep those to a minimum and share notes for those who can't attend.)
- Our work is often ambiguous, so you should have a love for environments with uncertainty. Most of our work is internal facing, so our product specs are often rough. For this role, you will be the second engineer on our Data Team, so you should be comfortable working with data analysts to write software and review code. You should have a deep empathy for users of our tools and understand the importance of supporting the work of other teams.
- Read this first: Research shows that people of different backgrounds read job postings differently. If you don’t think you meet all of the qualifications but do think you’d be a great match for us, please consider applying and sharing more in your cover letter. We’d love to talk with you to see what skills you can bring to our team. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications listed below:
- A degree in computer science, or equivalent training or experience on the principles of software engineering.
- Multiple years of professional experience using Python and SQL in a team environment.
- Fluency with Linux and command-line tools (terminal/bash, git, cron, make).
- Excellent communication and analytical skills; flexible problem-solving attitude.
- An excitement for our mission of improving the lives of smallholder farmers and an interest in sustainability.
About Working With Us & Compensation
- Enveritas has teams around the world: we are about 65 people spread over almost two dozen countries, and of all backgrounds and identities. To learn more about working at Enveritas, see https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/
- For a US-Based hire, base salary for this position will be between $125,000 and $145,000 annually (paid semi-monthly). This is a full-time exempt position. Full benefits include 401k with matching contributions, Medical/Dental/Vision, and Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 4 weeks vacation in addition to 12 standard holidays, and personal/sick time.
- For a hire outside the US, our offer will be competitive; the specific benefits and compensation details will vary as required to account for your region’s laws and requirements. Salary for this position will be paid in relevant local currency.
- Annual education budget for conferences, books, and other professional development opportunities.
- Annual all-company retreat (as Covid and other travel restrictions allow).
- Field visits to our Country Ops teams in coffee-growing countries such as Colombia, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, and Indonesia.
For all staff, we are able to offer:
- We are committed to fair and equitable hiring. To honor this commitment, we are being transparent about our interview process. We are interested in learning what working with you would be like and believe the below is the fairest method for us to see you at your best — and for you to learn about us! If you feel that a different method would be better for us to learn what working together would be like, please tell us in your application.
- Introductory Interview (30 minutes; Google Meet; audio-only)
- Engineering Technical Interview (60-90 minutes; Google Meet)
- Data Team Technical Interview (60-90 minutes; Google Meet)
- Manager Interview (45 minutes; Google Meet)
After your introductory interview, we expect your interview process to take three to four weeks (but will depend on scheduling), and consist of four conversations that total about five hours of time. You should plan to also spend about four hours in total preparing for interviews. See the hiring page at https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/data-eng/ for details about each of these interviews, including links to our interview prompts as available.
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions about the position or the interview process. Questions about this opportunity or process will not reflect negatively on your application.
Enveritas offers a new approach to sustainability assurance for companies and farmers. We are building sustainability solutions for smallholder coffee farming communities that are currently beyond the reach of existing certification and verification approaches. At Enveritas, we have developed a rigorous, scalable, and transparent verification method. This verification is the backbone of our Responsible Sourcing platform that helps companies meet their sustainability targets by investing in the areas that need it most.
Enveritas is a startup non-profit focused on helping 100 million people out of poverty by 2030. Founded in 2016 and fast-growing, Enveritas now operates in 26 countries and provides sustainability verification free of charge for smallholder farmers. Using leading-edge AI, Enveritas has developed innovative approaches to monitor deforestation and calculate carbon footprints in the supply chains of multinational firms. We are a fully distributed team of about 60 team members plus over 300 field staff in our partner organizations with an annual operating budget for 2021 at approximately $10M.
See more open positions at Enveritas
Something looks off?