Sr. Manager/ Manager Government Affairs
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2023
EducationSuperHighway (ESH) works to bridge the digital divide by bringing free internet access to households in America's most unconnected communities. We believe that broadband is one of the most transformative technologies of our generation and can provide all Americans with equal access to education, healthcare, and economic opportunities. But every household needs high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
ESH was founded with the mission of upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. The pandemic has made it clear that home Internet is essential not only for education. We now have a historic opportunity to connect the 18 million homes that cannot afford high-speed broadband. ESH is an essential catalyst in that effort, building public-private partnerships to identify and connect the unconnected. We are a highly collaborative, entrepreneurial team. We are driven to accomplish our mission with urgency.
Equity is more than a commitment at ESH, it is the foundation of our mission. We are fully dedicated to having a staff who come from communities that are most impacted by the digital divide. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply. As an ESH team member you must understand the unique responsibilities and accountabilities of a diversity, equity, and inclusion focused organization.
The Senior Manager/Manager of Government Affairs will be a key member of the ESH Government Affairs team. You will be a key player in our efforts to partner with the public sector to close the digital divide in America’s most unconnected communities. You will play a leading role in developing and executing our outreach to states advocating for our digital divide programmatic solutions. In addition, you will support our third-party strategy to bring together the right coalition of champions to support and amplify our state advocacy. You’ll interface with senior level officials in state government and third-party organizations and coalitions to drive alignment with ESH’s vision and lay the foundation for partnerships to deploy EducationSuperHighway programs.
What You Will Do:
- Work with the Vice President of Government Affairs to convince states to implement ESH’s broadband affordability and adoption solutions.
- Manage relationships with state partners and other stakeholders within your assigned territory.
- Lead the work of the ESH cross-functional team managing the execution of our deliverables to states flowing from our state adoption work.
- Work with ESH Policy Lead to develop and execute third-party advocacy campaigns at the state and federal level to support ESH programmatic aims.
- Identify government and third-party opportunities to promote ESH programmatic solutions and represent ESH in such forums, including media opportunities.
- Assist with the development and execution of state and federal policy advocacy.
- 7-10+ years of experience building and managing relationships with senior government officials, specifically at the state level.
- Subject matter expertise within the broadband industry and the digital divide
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and presentation)
- Capacity to focus on the big picture as well as day-to-day operational details, including handling several competing tasks at the same time
- Strong organizational and project management skills to effectively balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort working in a smaller organization with a dynamic environment
- A passion for our mission to close the digital divide in America’s most unconnected communities
- Travel 10%
- Preferred start date June 5, 2023
- Salary Range $70,000-$100,000
The salary for this position depends on your prior work experience. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process. We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact on behalf of the organization and take internal equity seriously. Staff who are meeting expectations generally receive an annual merit increase. ESH conducts regular benchmarking; based on this external data, some salaries may also receive market adjustments to keep pace with relevant competition in similar roles.
ESH offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible time away policy, remote work benefits, parental leave, and pre-tax deductions enabled for a variety of needs, including a 403(b) plan for retirement savings, health and dependent care, and commuting costs.
We believe in the creativity, connection, and collaboration that happens when people work together face-to-face and we believe in giving people flexibility to focus and balance personal priorities. Although we work remotely, ESH sponsors travel to gather together 3-4 times a year in a US-based city.
To apply, please submit a resume detailing your experience.
EducationSuperHighway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they check all the boxes listed in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.