ColorPop Books Growth Marketing Manager
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a teacher in need, moving us closer to a nation where students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education.
Since 2000, more than 5 million people and partners have contributed $1 billion to support 2 million teacher requests for classroom resources and experiences. Projects range from art supplies to build the set for a school musical, to books and puzzles that affirm students’ identities, to bird seed for an at-home science project. We proudly serve all US public schools, public charter schools, and Head Start centers, and we combat systemic inequity by driving a majority of donations to schools that have been historically underfunded due to economic and racial inequity.
DonorsChoose has been recognized as a best place to work by GOOD Magazine and the Nonprofit Times, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our dedicated team works from across the United States bring classroom dreams to life.
ColorPop Books is a new expansion for our organization, made possible by a grant from a generous partner. ColorPop Books is a one-of-a-kind bookshop specializing in identity-affirming book bundles for families. We are a small but mighty team focused on building this new brand for parents of color with a focus on uplifting the stories of Black and Brown main characters, which are historically harder to find in children’s books. We are currently focused on generating brand awareness, acquiring new customers, and building our thought leadership across the children’s book space. This is a bookshop unlike any other that you would help build as a member of this growing team.
The ColorPop Books Growth Marketing Manager is responsible for discovering, defining, and building marketing opportunities that will generate brand awareness and acquire new customers. In this role, you will:
- Drive grassroots marketing and customer acquisition
- Identify a backlog of hypotheses for what will drive sales and attract parents who are looking to affirm their kids’ identities through books and build empathy
- Define marketing opportunities that will test these hypotheses and do the work to execute each opportunity
- Work with the Product Owner and Marketing Lead to build a strategy that starts with strong hypotheses and approaches across marketing channels
- Drive data analyses and own our conversion metrics
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including customers, partners, and industry influencers
- Report your findings to different audiences within the organization and drive alignment on key decisions
This position may be a fit for you if:
- You are passionate about equitable access to quality education and energized by ColorPop Books’ focus on lifting up marginalized voices and perspectives.
- You are willing and able to engage in conversations about race, representation, and equity. You are comfortable leading discussions, offering your perspective, and listening to learn.
- You are scrappy and can get a lot done with little resources; you know when to pivot your strategy or tactics and when to double down. You might have worked at an early-stage startup or have previously helped bring a new brand to market.
- Are a relationship-builder with proven experience. You know the value that building trusting and long-standing relationships can have on a business and have built relationships with key stakeholders in previous roles.
- Are organized, thorough, and reflective. You have keen analytical skills, but people also note your strengths in communication and collaboration.
- Are a marketer at heart; you notice daily how other companies are driving action and how those lessons might apply to your business.
- You have 6+ years of experience in marketing with a focus on new customer acquisition and/or consumer product marketing and have a toolkit for building grassroots marketing efforts for new brands. Bonus points if you have experience marketing children’s products, marketing to parents, and/or marketing to audiences of color.
Compensation and Benefits
Our compensation philosophy ensures that we are both externally competitive with tech-forward nonprofits of a similar size and internally fair in our pay practices. The following ranges represent the target offer range given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
- The hiring salary range for this role is $84,000 - $99,000
- We have a hiring salary range of $93,000 - $110,000 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
Once employees are hired, the salary range for their role increases to ensure that employees are able to receive performance-based raises and grow in their role. We are open to a variety of experiences, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description as posted. If that’s the case, an updated salary range will be shared with candidates if they move forward in our hiring process.
In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work fully remotely from CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, ME, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VA, WA, or WI.
Candidates who are not in the NYC area should expect to travel to our NYC office on an as-needed basis, about 4-6 times per year. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the organization and proper safety precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to, Vanessa Kepp, Product Owner, DonorsChoose Bookshop.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.