Director of Sales
Location: Remote within the US
- Most regions in the United States: $85,500- $99,000
- California-specific: $85,500- $110,000
- NYC-specific: $95,000- $110,000
Offers will vary based on experience and location-based cost-of-living calculations.
- Level: Senior
- Supervisory role: Yes
- Classification: Exempt; full-time
About our organization:
Democracy Works is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that collaborates with election officials, leading tech platforms, and world-class partners to drive voter access and participation. We help Americans vote by providing reliable, useful voting guidance through the sites, apps and groups they trust. This includes TurboVote, Democracy Works Election Data, the Voting Information Project, and Ballot Scout. We also co-founded the Civic Alliance alongside the CAA Foundation. Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve.
The impact you’ll make:
Democracy Works is poised to make a significant impact in 2024 helping voters access reliable, trustworthy, and actionable election data and voting guidance through the sites, apps and groups they trust. Our customers (who we collaborate closely with and refer to as partners) include major platforms, emerging tech, employers, civic organizations, universities, and more who share a desire to inspire their audiences to vote.
As Director of Sales, you will develop and execute strategies to help us reach as many voters as we can by expanding into new markets and achieving revenue goals. You will become an expert on our offerings (including our Elections API and no and low code solution TurboVote) and positioning, lead our sales strategy, generate leads, cultivate relationships with prospects, close deals, and manage a small team.
Sales Strategy and Planning
- Become an expert on the needs of our target customers, our vision and current offerings, and the competitive landscape for voter engagement solutions and APIs
- Develop and execute a comprehensive sales strategy to drive revenue growth and achieve ambitious sales targets
- Identify new market segments and opportunities to expand our reach and increase market penetration
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, including marketing, product development, and customer success, to align efforts and maximize sales opportunities
- Travel up to 15%
New Business Development
- Identify and target new customer with potential to reach and assist many more voters
- Build and maintain a robust pipeline of qualified leads and opportunities
- Conduct outreach, engage with prospects, demo our solutions, and effectively communicate the value proposition of our products to drive sales conversions
- Lead negotiations, contract discussions, and closing of agreements
- Collaborate closely with customer success to ensure a smooth onboarding process for new partners and support partnership renewal as needed
Sales Performance and Reporting
- Lead a small sales team through direct guidance, coaching, and mentoring, with an emphasis on building and optimizing sales processes and systems to enhance team efficiency and effectiveness
- Set sales performance goals and metrics and track progress toward achieving them
- Maintain high-quality data and records in Salesforce and ensure data integrity across the team
- Prepare regular reports and analyses on sales activities, revenue generation, and market trends
- Provide insights and recommendations to leadership based on sales data and market feedback
- Energized to meet and exceed revenue goals to support our mission
- Skilled in identifying new market opportunities and capitalizing on them to drive growth
- Adept at working closely with technical teams in a fast-paced environment
- Highly collaborative with direct reports and comfortable delegating
- Proficient in problem-solving and analytical thinking, with an ability to make data-driven decisions
- Attentive to detail, managing multiple priorities efficiently and effectively, and chasing opportunities over time
- Excellent written and verbal communicator
- 7-10+ years of progressively responsible experience in sales or business development
- B2B selling experience in software, cloud, or SaaS markets strongly preferred
- Experience managing or mentoring staff and fostering professional development
- Developed and executed sales strategies that have successfully driven revenue growth and market expansion
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, aligning sales strategies with organizational goals and collaborating with other departments
- Proven experience in building and maintaining strong customer relationships
- Proficiency with CRM systems and sales tools (we use Salesforce and ZoomInfo)
- Experience in the voter engagement or political technology sector is a significant advantage
How we work
Because elections take place everywhere, our employees work from all across the country. We embrace working remotely as the default. Our positions require regular, daily use of a computer (including the use of G-Suite and Slack) to conduct work and communicate with colleagues. We also have regular operating hours (10 am to 6 pm Eastern, Monday to Friday).
For those who prefer to work from an office, we are headquartered in Brooklyn, NY. We are happy to share more details about the office, including accessibility information, as on-site visits are planned.
There may be travel for occasional staff retreats or meetings as part of certain roles.
As a member of the team, some of the benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision option for you and your dependents
- 12 floating holidays and 25 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development activities
We also offer a 403(b) retirement plan, stipends for equipment and internet reimbursement, and annual Calm or Headspace subscription reimbursements.
Please attach your resume and answers to the following questions:
- How did you find this job listing?
- Why are you interested in this role and working at Democracy Works?
- Describe your experience in sales and/or business development.
- Describe your experience building or evolving sales strategies to achieve revenue targets.
- Describe your supervisory experience and management style. (Number of direct reports, team dynamic, etc.)
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States for Democracy Works?
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) in Hiring
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) demographic information. Please note the categories used in this survey are set by the EEOC and may not reflect all existing categories.The data collected in this form is anonymized and is used in our EEOC reporting and in ongoing assessment of our recruitment practices.
Democracy Works follows the I-9 requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position, and you must possess your own work authorization in the U.S. now and in the future to continue working in this position.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions about our process or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process.