Senior Software Engineer - Data
Location: Remote within the US
About our organization:
At Democracy Works, we help Americans vote, no matter what! Our vision is to make voting a simple, seamless experience for all Americans so that no one misses an election, and our team works to help make this happen. Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve.
- Level: Senior
- Supervisory role: N
- Most regions in the United States: $118,800 - $125,400
- California-specific: $118,800 - $136,000
- NYC-specific: $132,000 - $136,000
Offers will vary based on experience and location-based cost-of-living calculations.
The impact you’ll make:
As a Senior Software Engineer - Data on the team, you will:
- Build data pipelines to ingest data from across the organization to enable data analysis
- Enrich data sets with internal and external data sources to drive decision making and demonstrating our organization’s impact
- Implement large-scale technical decisions that have multi-year impact such as choices of new framework, language, or vendors
- Serve as a subject-matter expert in the data and software engineering space and act as a go-to resource for thought partnership
- Provide technical mentorship to members of your team
- Execute other tasks as may be assigned
You are someone with:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience delivering technical projects using a functional, object-oriented or scripting programming language
- An understanding of structured and unstructured data and data modeling techniques
- Knowledge of SQL including schema design, query optimization, and migration of data to new schemas over time.
- Experience working with data warehouse/lake technologies like Amazon Redshift or Snowflake
- Experience analyzing raw data, developing and maintaining datasets, and improving data quality and efficiency
It’s a plus if:
- You have experience with or an understanding of geospatial databases or spatial relational database extensions
- You have experience with or an understanding of geospatial software such as ArcGIS or QGIS
- You have a knowledge of machine learning techniques for data analysis
How we work
Because elections take place everywhere, our employees work from practically every state in the union. We embrace working remotely as the default. Our positions require regular, daily use of a computer (including the use of G-Suite and Slack) to conduct work and communicate with colleagues. We also have regular operating hours (10 am to 6 pm Eastern, Monday to Friday).
For those who prefer to work from an office, we are headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, and we provide support for co-working spaces around the country. We are happy to share more details about the office, including accessibility information, as on-site visits are planned.
As a member of the team, some of the benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision option for you and your dependents
- 12 floating holidays and 25 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development activities
We also offer a 403(b) retirement plan, stipends for equipment and internet reimbursement, and annual Calm or Headspace subscription reimbursements.
Please attach your resume and answers to the following questions:
- How did you find this job listing?
- Why are you interested in this role and working at Democracy Works?
- Describe a data quality issue that you had a primary role in fixing. How did you resolve the issue and prevent it from happening again?
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States for Democracy Works?
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) in Hiring
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) demographic information. Please note the categories used in this survey are set by the EEOC and may not reflect all existing categories.The data collected in this form is anonymized and is used in our EEOC reporting and in ongoing assessment of our recruitment practices.
Democracy Works follows the I-9 requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position, and you must possess your own work authorization in the U.S. now and in the future to continue working in this position.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions about our process or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process.