Director of Election Administration
Location: Remote within the US
About our organization:
At Democracy Works, we help Americans vote, no matter what! Our vision is to make voting a simple, seamless experience for all Americans so that no one misses an election, and our team works to help make this happen. This includes TurboVote , the Voting Information Project (VIP), How To Vote, and Ballot Scout. Alongside the CAA foundation, we co-founded the Civic Alliance. Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve.
Salary Range: $89,100 to $99,000 (Offers will vary based on experience and location-based cost-of-living calculations.)
- Level: Senior
- Supervisory: Yes
The impact you’ll make:
As the Director of Election Administration, you will oversee the outreach team in cultivating relationships with election administrators and ensure that our programs and products meet the needs of election administrators.
- Recruit, hire, and retain staff needed for success. This includes providing ongoing support and direction to team members, while indirectly managing all employees in the department to track performance, engagement, and professional development.
- On an ongoing basis, evaluate employee performance and give feedback. On an annual basis, provide formal evaluations to all direct reports.
- Evaluate department and team structure for needs around growth and arrangement, suggesting roles as needed.
- Work with leadership to set strategic priorities for the department’s work via clear and actionable department-level goals.
- Form strategic partnerships with state and local election officials to build trust, maintain and strengthen engagement in our programs, and ensure that our products remain valuable to them.
- Define strategy to persuade non-participating states and localities to participate in VIP.
- Regularly evaluate progress toward department goals, providing updates to leadership on a regular basis.
- Support planning and management of departmental budget, in collaboration with the Finance team.
- Provide data, storytelling, and support to the Development team to share with donors and grantees.
Representing Democracy Works externally:
- Represent Democracy Works to external audiences via conference attendance and speaking engagements, as well as participation in collaborative ecosystem-wide efforts that advance Democracy Works’ goals.
- Represent Democracy Works by sharing stories and information with donors and grantees both in writing and in person.
- Support the relationship with major publishing partners, and facilitate coordination between our teams.
- Develop and implement a pricing, outreach, and support strategy for election data, and set earned revenue targets.
- Define strategy around securing additional publishers for VIP’s data.
- A leader with the ability to develop and inspire teams.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- High attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- A skilled communicator
You have experience:
- Successfully building and managing teams.
- Developing, evaluating, and iterating on strategy in collaboration with other internal stakeholders.
- Building and sustaining relationships with external stakeholders.
- Measuring and increasing impact
How we work
Because elections take place everywhere, our employees work from practically every state in the union. We embrace working remotely as the default. Our positions require regular, daily use of a computer (including the use of G-Suite and Slack) to conduct work and communicate with colleagues. We also have regular operating hours (10 am to 6 pm Eastern, Monday to Friday).
For those who prefer to work from an office, we are headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, and we provide support for co-working spaces around the country. We are happy to share more details about the office, including accessibility information, as on-site visits are planned. There may be travel as part of this role.
As a member of the team, some of the benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision option for you and your dependents
- 12 floating holidays and 25 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development activities
We also offer a 403(b) retirement plan, stipends for equipment and internet reimbursement, and annual Calm or Headspace subscription reimbursements.
Please attach your resume and answers to the following questions:
- How did you find this job listing?
- Why are you interested in this role and working at Democracy Works?
- Describe your experience working with election administrators or government officials
- Briefly describe your supervisory experience and management style. (Number of direct reports, team dynamic, etc.)
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States for Democracy Works?
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) in Hiring
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) demographic information. Please note the categories used in this survey are set by the EEOC and may not reflect all existing categories.The data collected in this form is anonymized and is used in our EEOC reporting and in ongoing assessment of our recruitment practices.
Democracy Works follows the I-9 requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position, and you must possess your own work authorization in the U.S. now and in the future to continue working in this position.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our process or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process.