Staff Software Engineer
Crisis Text Line
Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
Why you should join our team:
- Our work is transforming the way people in pain access support at their fingertips
- Our work is innovative in the crisis response space
- Our dynamic, fun, and diverse culture
- Our meaningful cause, led by empathy and innovation
- Our strong values at the center of all we do
- Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Our commitment to engagement and belonging
- Our commitment to our employees and their holistic wellbeing
- Our value of work/life balance
- Our growth mindset and prioritize professional development
- Our leaders who truly care
What you'll be doing:
Crisis Text Line's software engineers develop the next-generation data platform that changes how millions of humans connect with volunteer crisis counselors, our clinical staff and the interaction with one another. Our platform needs to handle information at a massive scale and extend well beyond SMS as a channel. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design, and mobile.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Clinical Applications Team, you will lead engineering efforts to design and build the next generation platform for clinical staff to monitor and manage our volunteer crisis counselors as they interact with texters and beyond. You will lead and contribute to full stack development projects with an emphasis on high quality, resiliency and scalability, for production code, test automation and infrastructure, as part of a highly skilled team of engineers.
Crisis Text Line aspires to be an organization that reflects the globally diverse audience that our products and technology serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas, and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services.
Crisis Text Line is and always will be a mission-driven company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of our biggest technology challenges and make an impact on millions of users that seek help and support in a moment of crisis. At Crisis Text Line, engineers not only evolve our platform, they routinely work on large scalability and storage solutions, applications, and entirely new features for users around the world.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance complex, large scale software systems.
- Solve complex problems in a collaborative way, and consistently communicate with clear and inclusive verbal and written communication. Strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- Drive and articulate forward looking architecture of systems & frameworks in measured ways within your domain.
- Build technical vision and roadmap, provide technical leadership on high-impact projects.
- Facilitate alignment and clarity across teams on goals, outcomes, and timelines.
- Work with Engineering, Design and Product Management to inform project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Identify and drive efficiency through standardization, automation, documentation, and training across the Engineering organization.
- Mentor and coach others on the team and across the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical role or equivalent practical experience.
- 6+ years of experience programming in a high-level language.
- 5+ years of experience in full stack development.
- 2+ years of experience in front-end web development.
- 2+ years of technical leadership or mentoring experience.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis, and software design.
- Experience delivering critical products with business impact.
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to communicate analysis and reasoning clearly.
- Experience working closely with multiple teams, including Product, Design, and other Engineering teams.
- Eagerness to learn quickly and take ownership of technical areas.
- Experience driving engineering standards and best practices within a team or organization.
- Experience building back-end microservices with Go.
- Experience working with relational databases and GraphQL APIs.
Salary Range: $126,000 - $178,000
This range is provided by Crisis Text Line. Your actual pay will be based on your skills, experience, location, and applicable law (such as local minimum wage laws). We pay competitively in the tech-forward nonprofit space and offer a robust benefits package.
Only candidates in the following states will be eligible for employment: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA.
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)
(Benefits only apply to full-time employees)
Crisis Text Line is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who have a disability and meet the skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the role to allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job.
Something looks off?