Bilingual Crisis Support Staff (Spanish/English, Part-Time)
Crisis Text Line
Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
*Please Note: This position is limited only to candidates who permanently reside in Texas, Michigan, Illinois, North Carolina, Iowa, Utah, New Mexico, Missouri, or Florida at this time.
As a Crisis Support Staff, you will work closely with Crisis Counselor Supervisors to provide de-escalation to people in crisis via a text-based service. You will provide empathy and compassion while collaborating with your Crisis Counselor Supervisor on any necessary external intervention. You will provide a high quality service, when supporting our texters, while adhering to clinical policies and procedures. You will also provide quality assurance oversight into conversations between a texter and a volunteer.
This is an overnight position, working a set schedule between the hours of 10p EST to 4a EST -or- 11p EST to 5a EST, including weekends and holidays. You can expect to work 26 hours per week.
What you’ll do:
- Provide warmth and empathy to our users in crisis.
- De-escalate imminent risk conversations when users are at risk for suicide or homicide.
- Work collaboratively with the Clinical Supervision team on users involved in medical emergencies, federal crimes in progress, or any mandatory reporting.
- Under supervision of a Manager of Clinical Supervision, provide quality assurance oversight to conversations between volunteers and users in crisis.
- Multitask by providing our service to multiple (4 to 5) users at once in order to reduce overnight wait times.
- Utilize quality improvement auditing methods to ensure strong delivery of our service.
- 1+ year of crisis intervention work experience beyond volunteerism.
- Fluent in written and verbal English and Spanish.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure while maintaining professionalism and maturity
- Consistently exhibits effective and constructive communication
- Understanding of quality improvement and quality assurance processes.
- Ability to work 26 non-traditional hours per week, specifically overnight shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Reliable High-Speed Internet Required: Must have a stable high-speed internet connection to support seamless remote collaboration, virtual meetings, online job tasks, etc.
Salary Range: $22 per hour
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)