Staff Data Engineer
Crisis Text Line
Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
Why you should join our team:
- Our work is transforming the way people in pain access support at their fingertips
- Our work is innovative in the crisis response space
- Our dynamic, fun, and diverse culture
- Our meaningful cause, led by empathy and innovation
- Our strong values at the center of all we do
- Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Our commitment to engagement and belonging
- Our commitment to our employees and their holistic wellbeing
- Our value of work/life balance
- Our growth mindset and prioritize professional development
- Our leaders who truly care
What you'll be doing:
Crisis Text Line's software engineers develop the next-generation data platform that changes how millions of humans connect with volunteer crisis counselors, our clinical staff and the interaction with one another. Our platform needs to handle information at a massive scale and extend well beyond SMS as a channel. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design, and mobile.
As a Staff Data Engineer you will partner with product managers and data consumers to meet our internal analytics and client data needs. You will use our modern data platform - which uses infrastructure and tools like Amazon DMS, Kafka, Postgres, Aurora, Spark, Databricks, Datadog, Sisense, Amazon S3, Amazon Redshift, Jenkins, Docker, and Kubernetes - to drive business outcomes. You will oversee the entire lifecycle of data pipeline development from data discovery and design to quality and maintenance. As part of the larger Data Engineering team, you will report to the Director of Engineering of the Foundations organization.
Crisis Text Line aspires to be an organization that reflects the globally diverse audience that our products and technology serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas, and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services.
Crisis Text Line is and always will be a mission-driven company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of our biggest technology challenges and make an impact on millions of users that seek help and support in a moment of crisis. At Crisis Text Line, engineers not only evolve our platform, they routinely work on large scalability and storage solutions, applications, and entirely new features for users around the world.
- Design, develop and deploy scalable data pipelines and a scalable and resilient cloud data platform
- Design and build multi-tenant systems capable of loading and transforming large volumes of structured and semi-structured fast moving data
- Partner with Data Scientists and product team to drive agile delivery of both existing and new offerings
- Work with Product and Project Managers to understand the features, do technical assessment, design, code, test and deliver
- Help with team goals including the support of live 24/7 production systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical role or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of programming in Python/Java/Scala/GO with a minimum of 3 years of Python experience is required.
- 6+ years of experience in data engineering with a strong background in Apache Spark.
- 6+ years of professional work experience building ETL pipelines using AWS services such as S3, Lambda, DMS, Athena, SNS, Kinesis, EMR etc.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment.
- Ability to work independently, and provide guidance to junior data engineers.
- An aptitude for learning new tools and technologies and applying them when appropriate.
- Working knowledge & experience with integration patterns, system design, distributed systems.
- Experience with building and deploying a CI/CD pipeline.
- Knowledge and experience with data modeling concepts and developing data quality standards.
- Knowledge or experience in architectural best practices in building data lakes is required.
- Ability to write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- Experience with building data pipelines in Databricks
- 2+ years of professional work experience using real-time streaming systems (Kafka/Kafka Connect, Spark Streaming, Flink or AWS Kinesis).
- Infrastructure provisioning experience using Cloud Formation, Terraform etc.
- Experience with MLOps systems, including data pipelines and production-level machine learning (ML) infrastructure to support large-scale data workflow from data collection, ingestion, storage, preparation, to data query/analytics
- Experience developing data governance, including data quality, privacy, and security, to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices
Salary Range: $126,000 - $178,000
This range is provided by Crisis Text Line. Your actual pay will be based on your skills, experience, location, and applicable law (such as local minimum wage laws). We pay competitively in the tech-forward nonprofit space and offer a robust benefits package.
Only candidates in the following states will be eligible for employment: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA.
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)