Spring 2024 Congressional App Challenge Internship
Congressional App Challenge
CONGRESSIONAL AFFAIRS INTERN
Location: Washington, DC
Commitment: 15-40 hours a week
The Congressional Affairs Intern will assist with relations between Members of Congress, district offices, and various other Congressional App Challenge stakeholders. This internship position reports to the Congressional Operations Coordinator.
Through this internship, you will learn about the Congressional strategy focused on STEM and Computer Science education. From district-specific research to building coalitions and preparing for Capitol Hill briefings, your responsibilities will vary.
- A passion for expanding STEM and Computer Science education
- Basic project management and task-tracking experience
- Understanding of protocol and a strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- General understanding of the U.S. Congress
- Familiarity with graphic design or social media a plus
All Congressional App Challenge interns receive a weekly stipend. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. This position is hybrid, with both an in-office and remote component in Washington DC.COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
Location: Washington DC / Remote workers accepted
Commitment: 15-40 hours a week
We’re seeking someone with initiative and vision to help grow a Congressional Tech Project focused on STEM education. Must have an interest in working with Congress, technology, and start-ups. STEM or Computer Science background a plus, but not required.
Interns will have immediate responsibilities including event planning, website and database management, email marketing, content creation, and data research.
You will be working two blocks from the White House, at the center of the nation’s capital. You will also have exposure to other events through programs supported by the Internet Education Foundation (IEF).
- Manage email marketing (iContact/MailChimp and organizational database (Salesforce)
- Maintain and create content for website (WordPress)
- Contribute to social media marketing (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram)
- Outreach to tech advocates and partners
- Contribute to communications strategy and media outreach/relations, monitoring press coverage
- Draft promotional materials (pamphlets, flyers)
- Write press releases pertaining to specific districts or states
- Conduct research and brief Director on current tech diversity and inclusion issues and trends
- Strong command of the English language, proper grammar
- Quick learning and a sense of humor
- Detail oriented: must be able to do tedious tasks without introducing errors
- Prior experience with WordPress, email marketing, and social media marketing
- Ability to use advanced features in MS Excel, Google Sheets, Google Forms
- Experience with Salesforce or other CMS
- Published op-eds or other writing for public audiences
- Experience with Photoshop or other image editors
- GIS mapping
All Congressional App Challenge interns receive a weekly stipend. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. This position is hybrid or fully remote.