Associate Director of Marketing
Marketing & Communications
Washington, DC, USA · Remote
Posted on Saturday, November 4, 2023
CommonLit is a nonprofit EdTech organization dedicated to providing high-quality literacy instruction to low-income students and students of color to prepare them for success in college and careers. We operate a free online reading and writing program, www.commonlit.org, that is used by millions of teachers and students worldwide each month. We are a quickly growing team of passionate professionals - many of whom are former teachers. Our team is now over 100 full-time employees spread across ~30 states.
CommonLit is a nonprofit edtech organization that has been shown to dramatically accelerate learning for students in grades 3-12.
CommonLit’s digital program, which includes a comprehensive English Language Arts curriculum, is currently used by teachers in over 70% of American schools.
About the Opportunity:
CommonLit launched its free digital literacy program in 2016, and the program began to spread virally. By 2020, over 20 million students in over 90,000 schools were registered for the program. Throughout this period, CommonLit was funded almost exclusively via philanthropy and grants. Since then, the organization has also developed a host of paid products and services for schools and districts interested in implementing CommonLit’s full instructional program. To date, CommonLit has paid partnerships with thousands of schools across the United States. This product-market fit has allowed CommonLit to expand its programmatic offerings and quickly expand its team to over 100 employees.
As the company continues to expand, we are looking for an Associate Director of Marketing who is ambitious and excited to make a significant impact on our fast-growing organization. This role is ideal for someone who is an expert in web marketing as this is the top channel that contributes to our earned revenue.
We are looking for someone who can take web to the next level of growth through building revenue-driving end-to-end campaigns targeting key audiences, conducting rigorous A/B testing to refine strategies, and improving our day-to-day operations to increase overall business impact.
This role is ideal for someone who is a highly skilled marketer, who is excited to work on a fast-moving, collaborative, and mission-driven team. You’ll thrive in this role if you are excited to build and execute marketing campaigns, while providing mentorship to other team members on the Marketing team.
- 5-7 years experience in web marketing roles
- 2+ years of management experience
- You have proven success running campaigns that have driven millions of dollars in revenue
- You expertly develop go-to-market campaigns across the customer journey to drive awareness, acquisition, and usage
- You have experience working with Content Management Systems
- You have advanced skills with marketing tools like HubSpot, Optimizely, or PostHog
- You have a demonstrated ability to analyze marketing data and metrics to make informed decisions that increase performance
- You sweat the details and welcome feedback
- Team Leadership:
- Provide guidance and mentorship to marketing team members, assisting in their professional growth and development
- Communicate effectively to your team, peers, and senior leadership
- Bridge the gap between high-level marketing strategy and hands-on, detail-oriented execution to ensure effective implementation of marketing campaigns
- Imbue marketing best practices into our day-to-day operations
- Act as a problem solver within the marketing team and be willing to actively participate in uncovering and resolving challenges as they arise
- Create, execute, and optimize campaigns to drive discovery, acquisition, and engagement of CommonLit, aligning to the customer journey
- Implement A/B tests on the website using conversion rate optimization best practices
- Utilize analytics tools to monitor progress and effectiveness of web initiatives
- Cross-functional alignment and campaign strategy:
- Work with Director of Marketing and other customer-facing leaders to develop and execute marketing strategies in service of organizational goals
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (e.g. Product, Design, Sales, Customer Success, etc.) to execute on projects and share-out learnings broadly
- Establish and monitor KPIs for campaign success and provide data-driven recommendations
- Meticulously monitor ROI to determine impact of initiatives and make suggestions for campaign improvements based on data
- Mission Alignment:
- Embrace and integrate our mission into marketing efforts
- Demonstrate eagerness to learn the education landscape
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that includes examples of successful web marketing campaigns you’ve led in a past role. The application deadline for this role is Friday, November 24, 2023.
As an equal opportunity employer, CommonLit values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.