Social Media/Copywriter (temp)
Common Sense Media
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Apple TV, Target.com, Xfinity, Vudu.com, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 70,000 member schools use our ratings, curriculum, and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The social media and copywriting temp will support key teams across the organization on both day-to-day social media tasks and project-specific copywriting needs. The role will report to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications but will need to work independently with members of the teams supporting these projects.
This is a four-month term position, ending in February 2024, with the possibility of extension on copywriting projects.
LOCATION: San Francisco Bay Area, or one of our hubs (LA, NY, or DC)
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Marketing & Communications
SALARY: $25–$30 per hour
DURATION: Four-month term position, with the possibility of extension on copywriting projects
Social Media (15–20 hours/week):
- Content Development
- Create biweekly content calendars for four main social media channels:
- Common Sense Instagram: 1–3 posts/week, 3–5 stories/week
- Common Sense Facebook: 2–4 posts/week
- Common Sense LinkedIn (1–2 posts/week)
- Common Sense Twitter: 1–2 posts/day
- Create content across formats like posts, stories, reels, threads, etc.
- Collaborate with program content teams for timely content development and organizational campaigns.
- Leverage Canva to create images for platforms, and work with the Design team on images where necessary.
- Draft copy for campaigns, internal and partner toolkits, and real-time posts.
- Support partner content promotion needs (Apple Podcasts, YouTube Kids channels, etc).
- Monitor all platforms for comments and questions.
- Respond to comments after consultation with marcom team leaders.
- Flag comments for Customer Support where necessary, and/or report inappropriate comments through the platforms.
- Daily maintenance of platforms to share content and manage likes, reposts, and shares of related material on all platforms.
Metrics and Measurement
- Provide monthly updates on metrics for each channel.
- Use Sprout Social to collect metrics.
- Update spreadsheet and work with program partners on reporting.
Copywriting (15 hours/week):
Develop copy for key website and email campaigns:
- Year-End Giving email campaign
- Work with Development team to draft a series of fundraising emails for end-of-year campaign (approximately 10 emails).
- DEI Website Project
- Work with People Ops and organization DEI lead to draft new copy to update current external DEI webpage (approximately 1,000 words).
Collaborate with the VP of Marketing and Director of Consumer Marketing to draft and test engaging marketing copy to promote the Common Sense Media membership program, converting existing non-paid members to paid members and crafting appeals to attract new subscribers (approximately 10 emails, 500 words of web/UX copy, 1,000 words of general messaging).
- Each project has separate deliverables, but all will require work with program partners to conceptualize content plan, develop messaging, iterate on drafts, and work with stakeholders on multiple rounds of edits and design/brand review.
- Be familiar with the Common Sense Style Guide and DEI guidelines, and use them in all copy development.
- Ensure that all copy goes through the proper copy-editing channel.
- Attend weekly marcom team meetings on Mondays at 2:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT.
- Attend a weekly meeting with the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and members of the social media team.
- Attend meetings for all projects as needed.
- Experience in social media platform management.
- Experience in message development.
- Experience in project management.
- Copywriting and editing experience in email marketing, website development, and social media copy.
- Comfort with design tools like Canva and measurement tools like Sprout Social.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal-opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.