Common Sense Media
Common Sense (commonsense.org) is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents, caregivers, and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Common Sense is looking for a Product Designer to join our product and design team. Under the direction of the Design Director, this person will work collaboratively with the design and product teams to achieve our organizational goals.
What You'll Do:
- Partner closely with engineers, product managers, visual designers, UX researchers, copywriters, and the Design Director to create intuitive and engaging designs for a consistent user experience across platforms.
- Empathize with the user's mental model and apply human-centered design and design-thinking principles to solve their needs.
- Design and deliver wireframes, user flows, prototypes, and final designs optimized for various devices and interfaces.
- Effectively communicate design solutions to teammates and stakeholders. Manage feedback from stakeholders to analyze trade-offs effectively and iterate toward successful solutions.
- Actively contribute to the continued development of our style guide and component library.
- Implement design solutions that meet accessibility standards and guidelines.
- Help strategize, guide, and participate in user research activities such as user interviews, surveys, and usability testing to gather user feedback and iterate on the design solutions accordingly.
- Use data, professional insights, and experience to inform your design decisions.
- Work with engineers to review design implementations and provide detailed feedback and QA.
- Work closely with product managers to define processes and maintain schedules for your work.
- Stay updated with the latest design trends, techniques, and technologies to drive continuous innovation and circulate that learning among the product and design teams.
- Influence the long-term design strategy and product vision for our websites and apps.
- 5+ years of professional experience designing digital products that have shipped to the public.
- 2+ years of professional experience mentoring more junior designers.
- A portfolio that demonstrates your web and app design expertise, and stories backed by data that outlines the impact of your work.
- Experience building and working with comprehensive design systems.
- Advanced knowledge and application of user-centered-design / human-centered-design methodologies.
- Experience with designing for accessibility standards.
- Experience with iterative prototyping and testing, and dual-track agile design/development.
- Familiarity with user research and usability testing.
- Strong visual design skills (including hierarchy, typography, grids, color, icons, and imagery).
- Detailed knowledge of modern design tools, including Figma and Adobe Creative Cloud apps.
- Familiarity with basic development tools, including HTML and CSS.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to articulate design decisions and thought processes in a clear and understandable way to stakeholders.
- A drive to collaborate cross-functionally toward successful outcomes.
- Deeply detail-oriented, but able to recognize when and how to think big-picture.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- A passion for your craft, and a desire to work in a mission-driven creative environment.
What We Offer:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.