Director/Senior Director, California Kids and Tech Policy
Common Sense Media
Sales & Business Development
Sacramento, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Common Sense ( commonsense.org ) is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century.Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents, caregivers, and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.Job overview: The Director/Senior Director for California Kids and Tech Policy is responsible for developing and executing Common Sense’s California policy and advocacy priorities and representing Common Sense’s mission and values in Sacramento and across the state. The role includes supporting, developing, and moving priority legislation, working with the executive branch and state agencies, and managing advocacy partnerships. EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time, 40 hours/week, exempt SALARY RANGE: $120,000 to $150,000 depending on experience and qualifications REPORTS TO: Chief Advocacy Officer LOCATION: Sacramento, CAResponsibilities:
- Working with the Chief Advocacy Officer and the CEO, lead Common Sense’s kids and tech policy advocacy in California by setting direction for, tracking, and managing, and ensuring timely, effective, and impactful implementation of our priorities.
- Represent Common Sense before the legislature and executive branch, with partners, in the news media, and in other public-facing events.
- Develop and manage relationships with elected officials and key legislative and executive branch staff.
- Ensure compliance with CA lobbying regulations.
- Ensure the California agenda is aligned with Common Sense’s overall priorities.
- Communicate Common Sense’s California priorities and progress in official letters, coalition communications, blog posts, and other forums.
- Support the advocacy team’s overall priorities and other Common Sense priorities as needed.
- Regularly monitor relevant political, policy, and news developments.
- 5-10 years of experience in California-based advocacy and/or public policy.
- Familiarity and relationships with the state’s leadership and other key staff and elected officials.
- Solid understanding of California’s legislative, executive, and budget processes.
- Knowledge of tech policy and the tech sector.
- Strong organizational and oral and written communications’ skills.
- Experience in negotiations and persuasive communications.
- Appreciation for Common Sense’s mission and values and a passion for solving problems that impact California’s children.