Code.org® is a nonprofit dedicated to expanding access to computer science in K-12 schools and increasing participation by young women and students from other underrepresented groups. Our vision is that every student in every school has the opportunity to learn computer science as part K-12. The leading provider of K-12 computer science solutions in the largest school districts in the United States, Code.org also created the annual Hour of Code campaign, which has engaged more than 15% of all students in the world!
Code.org is looking for a State Data Policy Intern for a 6-month internship to support our state-by-state advocacy efforts to expand K-12 access to computer science education. In this role, you will gain a deep understanding of state policy and will broaden your networks in education policy. This 6-month internship offers a unique opportunity to delve into the nuances of state educational policies and to contribute significantly to our annual State of Computer Science report.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
We seek candidates who are:
- Passion for expanding computer science education
- Pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree in public policy, public administration, political science, education, data science, or a related field during the 2023-24 school year.
- A self-starter and multi-tasker who excels under pressure and can work independently with a geographically dispersed team.
Candidates should also have:
- Strong quantitative and technology skills, including comfort with spreadsheets (such as Excel or Google Sheets).
- Strong written communication skills.
- Prior experience in education or public policy (preferred but not required).
- Flexible schedule in order to attend team meetings (preferred but not required).
In addition, candidates:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must pass a pre-employment background check
WHAT IS THE INTERVIEW PROCESS LIKE?
Step 1: Hiring Task (Offline Assignment)
Step 2: Interview with Code.org Director of Policy
Step 3: Final Interview with Code.org VP of U.S. Strategy
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually via Zoom
The priority application date for this role is January 5, 2024 and preference will be given to applications submitted by this date. Our team will review all applications and if we believe your qualifications would make a great fit, we'll contact you to request that you complete the offline assignment. Please include a resume and a cover letter.
The internship will take place during the 2024 school year, with a start date in February 2024.
**Please note the following benefits only apply to full-time employees**
We also offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees that includes:
- Technology subsidy consistent with our Bring Your Own Device environment
- Flexible, engaging, and remote working environment
- Paid time off: 3 weeks vacation annually, sick leave, and 'winter break' office closure the two weeks that include Christmas and New Years
- Medical, dental and vision premiums paid at 100% for FT positions and their dependents
- Option to participate in 403b retirement plan
- Annual professional development stipend
- The opportunity to help students learn better and change the face of computer science
A unifying approach in a divided world
Code.org's global role in the K-12 computer science movement is only possible because we use a unifying approach across diverse and often divided stakeholders. At a time of increasing polarization, the idea of increasing opportunity for students unites people from across the political spectrum. Code.org's team members, students, teachers, and supporters have diverse and diverging view points, and they are all welcome in our mission. Read more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.