Software Engineer, Infrastructure Security (Senior/Principal)
Code.org® is a nonprofit dedicated to expanding access to computer science in K-12 schools and increasing participation by young women and students from other underrepresented groups. Our vision is that every student in every school has the opportunity to learn computer science as part K-12. The leading provider of K-12 computer science solutions in the largest school districts in the United States, Code.org also created the annual Hour of Code campaign, which has engaged more than 15% of all students in the world!
A unifying approach in a divided world
Code.org's global role in the K-12 computer science movement is only possible because we use a unifying approach across diverse and often divided stakeholders. At a time of increasing polarization, the idea of increasing opportunity for students unites people from across the political spectrum. Code.org's team members, students, teachers, and supporters have diverse and diverging view points, and they are all welcome in our mission. Read more.
Are you passionate about computer science and education? Code.org is a non-profit organization dedicated to growing participation in computer science by making it available in more schools and increasing participation by young women and underrepresented students. Our vision is that every student in every school should have the opportunity to learn computer science. We believe computer science should be part of the core curriculum, alongside other courses such as mathematics, biology, chemistry, or algebra!
As a Software Engineer, Infrastructure Security (Principal) at Code.org, you’ll help drive the implementation of security improvements for services used by tens of millions of students and teachers in K-12 classrooms around the world.
As a member of our Infrastructure engineering team, you will:
- Architect and implement cloud infrastructure solutions ensuring the security of student data and the resiliency of production systems
- Work across the engineering organization to help teams own, design, and implement security related components and services.
- Provide expert advice to internal staff, consulting on risk assessment and vulnerability fixes.
- Promote security across the engineering organization, mentoring and educating other engineers on secure development practices.
- Triage reports from, and interact with, a community of independent security researchers contributing to our product.
- Own projects and build features end to end, working on exciting technical challenges using some of the latest technologies.
- Ship software regularly while maintaining excellent live site availability.
- Contribute to an inclusive, growth-focused, and collaborative team culture.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
We seek candidates who have:
- Passion for our mission of growing access to computer science education
- Experience in some of the following areas: application security, cloud platform security, authentication, web and network protocols, risk assessment, threat modeling, pen tests, and vulnerability assessments.
- Experience working independently on software projects, including the ability to break down project work into smaller features and communicate status updates optimally
- Experience supporting a production high-scale web-based software product or service
In addition, candidates must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Pass a pre-employment background check
- Be willing to travel a minimum of two times per year for team events
WHAT IS THE INTERVIEW PROCESS LIKE?
Step 1: Informational (30 minutes) - learn more about the role and share your experience
Step 2: Technical Assessment (Paired interview, 1 hour) - Coding: General
Step 3: Full Interview Loop & Meet the Team (3 paired interviews, 3 hours total)
- Cloud Foundations: deploying applications using a cloud provider, designing for scale and security
- Data Storage: managing multiple complex data storage options
- Operational Excellence: running a system at scale in production, debugging live-site issues, threat assessment and mitigation
Each interview will include a behavioral question and additional time for the candidate to ask questions
Step 4: Final Interview with CTO (1 hour)
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually via Zoom
Your application should include a resume and/or a link to your LinkedIn profile as well as a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience demonstrate the qualifications of the position.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS PACKAGE
The expected salary range for this position is $145,800 - $190,000. The actual offer will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by relevant business considerations, including the final candidate’s qualifications, years of experience, and skillset.
We also offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees that includes:
- Technology subsidy consistent with our Bring Your Own Device environment
- Flexible, engaging, and remote working environment
- Paid time off: 3 weeks vacation annually, sick leave, and 'winter break' office closure the two weeks that include Christmas and New Years
- Medical, dental and vision premiums paid at 100% for FT positions and their dependents
- Option to participate in 403b retirement plan
- Annual professional development stipend
- The opportunity to help students learn better and change the face of computer science
Additionally, in order to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, we require that all Code.org full-time employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We define fully vaccinated as either both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and take medical and sincerely held religious exemptions into consideration.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Something looks off?