Staff Solutions Architect
Code for America
Code for America reached a voluntary recognition agreement with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), effective on October 22, 2021. We are currently engaged in negotiations towards our first collective bargaining agreement.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America’s Safety Net Innovation Lab is a groundbreaking, multi-year initiative to transform America’s safety net by making it easier for people to access and retain public benefits. We do this by using human-centered design and technology to create public services that are easy-to-use, equitable, and built for the digital age. Our goal is to partner with 15 states to reach 13 million people and unlock $30 billion in benefits in the areas of food assistance, health care, and other basic needs.
Code for America is looking for a talented Solutions Architect who will help the organization build products and digital services that transform the way government delivers services to communities in need.
About the Role:
We're seeking a Solutions Architect to work with a team of designers, researchers, engineers, product managers, and policy experts across our Safety Net portfolio. You will lead technical collaboration with government partners through discovery, delivery, and sustainability phases as we expand our efforts across the country. You’ll spend time with key government agencies to build rapport with their technical team, understand their technical landscape and needs, pilot interventions to improve access to their safety net benefit programs, and create and drive the technical implementation plan to scale and sustain the improvements.
This role may be perfect for you if you have the technical skills to tackle engineering problems, the social skills to face human-factors problems, and the judgment to differentiate between the two. The ability to communicate complex technical concepts in straightforward language to non-technical audiences will be critical to your success.
In this position you will:
- Lead technical advisement, implementation, migration, and integration projects for government safety net services.
- Build and maintain relationships and develop technical champions within government and partner organizations.
- Implement proof-of-concept applications, software installations, and custom development projects.
- Provide solutions-oriented technical perspectives and expertise in service of improved government services for government agencies, organizational stakeholders, and other key audiences.
- Lead our technical approach for project scoping, planning, drafting statements of work and other partnership agreements.
- Evaluate the technical landscape and partner capacity for prospective new state engagements, drafting assessments and recommendations.
- Work closely with cross-functional government partners to clarify problems and understand system constraints, and offer feasible and high-value technical solutions that consider the needs of all stakeholders.
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, Solutions Engineer, or Solutions Architect with experience leading projects and interacting with customers.
- Client facing development experience that involves working with clients to pin down the details of specific customizations, and document precise technical requirements.
- Ability to engage in research to learn about current systems and architecture, and then incorporate this knowledge to design new solutions and new architectures.
- Fast learning curve and capacity to get up to speed in new technologies quickly.
- Fundamentally curious and empathetic; able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them most.
- Strong self management skills and a proven ability to manage multiple engagements simultaneously.
- Tenacity and adaptability; able to navigate relationships and technical challenges and unblock yourself and your team.
- Willingness to travel, post Covid.
What you’ll get:
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires.
The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for the Staff Solutions Architect role range from $128,945 - $157,850.
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking and fun environment
- Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds up to 3%
- Professional development:
- Bi annual 360 review process alongside compensation reviews
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Flexible Time:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Flexible working hours- we aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM - 3 PM PT
- Employee enablement support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of up to $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Something looks off?