Trauma-informed content advisor [Portuguese & English]
We’re looking for a trauma-informed content advisor to support the expansion of our Bloom project into Portuguese. You will be working alongside our Bloom team to support the recruitment of Portuguese translators and video presenters and will review their content in Portuguese to ensure it fits Chayn’s approach, style, and ethos.
About the role
Bloom’s courses were originally written in English, but we want to offer them in multiple languages to support many survivors across the world. We want our Bloom courses to be open to any Portuguese speaker, so it is necessary that they are translated in a way that is accessible, scientifically accurate and mutually intelligible to Portuguese speakers with a variety of national, cultural, and personal backgrounds. This role is a vital part of expanding our work into the Portuguese language.
The courses we will be offering in Portuguese are:
- Society, patriarchy, and sexual trauma
- Healing from sexual trauma
- Dating, boundaries and relationships
This role will focus on applying Chayn's principles and approach to our content in Portuguese, reviewing applications and first deliverables from our Portuguese translators and presenters to ensure they are working consistently with each other and to the needs of the project.
This role will be responsible for:
- Aligning with Chayn’s approach, style and ethos
Watching 4 x 30min Bloom videos and attending a 1hr meeting with the team
- Reviewing applications for the Translation and Localisation roles and providing Chayn with feedback
Reviewing 6-8 x 500 word tasks and providing feedback
- Reviewing one script per translator / localiser and providing Chayn with feedback
Reviewing 2-3 x 4000 word scripts, one from each translator, and providing feedback
- Reviewing applications for our Video Presenter roles and providing Chayn with feedback
Reviewing ~8 x 2min videos and providing feedback
- Reviewing one video per Video Presenter and providing Chayn with feedback
Watching 2 x 30min videos, one from each pair of translators, and providing feedback
We’re looking for a Portuguese and English speaker who has experience of working within the field of gender-based violence and/or mental health support.
It’s important that all team members have an understanding of intersectionality and systems of oppression and an affinity with Chayn’s aims and organisational values, which can be found here.
- Native-level fluency for speaking and writing in Portuguese and English
- Background or work experience in gender-based violence and/or human rights activism
- Understanding of mental health concepts and terminology
- Working knowledge of inclusive language practices
- Understanding of trauma-informed care and language
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Attention to detail and agile working pace
- Familiarity with Google Drive and Google documents
- Experience working remotely
- Passion for technology
At Chayn, inclusion and accessibility are at the core of our work. We welcome applicants from all walks of life. Given the nature of our courses and our audience, we encourage applications from mental health professionals who grew up in the Global South (or Majority World).
We also encourage applications from people of colour, LGBTQ+ people (we are a trans-inclusive organisation), people with disabilities, and people who have experienced other exclusion or marginalisation. Up to 70% of our team members are survivors of abuse so if you are one too and are thinking to apply, know that you will be in a safe and affirming space.
We have tried to make this recruitment process as accessible as possible, but know that there might be more that we can do, particularly if you have experienced exclusion, disadvantage or discrimination, or if you have particular accessibility needs. We would be happy to provide any further support that you may require - please get in touch with us at [email hidden], and we can think together about how to make this process easier for you.
- We anticipate this work will take place over a six-week period
- You have total flexibility over the times and hours you work
- This is a freelance contract, Chayn is unable to sponsor visas
- Chayn is a fully remote organisation
To apply, please send the following to [email hidden] with Trauma-informed content advisor (Portuguese & English) in the subject line.
Please send us:
- Cover letter outlining why you are interested in this work, your relevant experience, your approach to the work. This should be no longer than one page.