Frontend Software Engineer II
The award-winning global tech nonprofit CareerVillage.org is at a really important and exciting moment: we’re growing rapidly, expanding our service offering, and we’re looking to grow our team with new engineers. If you are mission-driven, committed to developing transformational social justice technology, and are committed to pixel perfect frontend engineering, keep reading!
As a Frontend Engineer at CareerVillage.org, you’ll be building the technology to enact our mission: to democratize access to career information and advice for millions of underrepresented youth. You’ll be contributing to two products: (1) our brand new product, the AI Career Coach (read about it in Fast Company and Forbes) and (2) our flagship crowdsourcing platform, which supports millions of learners, over 150,000 professionals, and thousands of teachers who have joined our movement. We are a remote-first organization that builds with React and are open to adopting new technologies as needed. Learn more about our tech stack in the Running in Production podcast interview of our founder Jared Chung.
What you'll do
- Write code, tackle problems, collaborate with other engineers and our PMs to help build a career-ready generation
- Build, launch, and continuously enhance our AI Career Coach (read about it in Fast Company and Forbes)
- Build sustainable web application systems that live on and get used for many years to come
- Collaborate with other engineers in live discussion, and via code reviews, to level up yourself and others with effective feedback
- Collaborate closely with product, partnerships, data, and community teams to deliver for our learners
What you bring
We know that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role. The ideal candidate will have many of the following:
- 4+ years experience developing world-class digital products, with a particular emphasis on developing complicated, excellent quality frontend user interfaces.
- A mission-driven mindset and commitment to developing transformational social justice technology
- Ability to approach an existing codebase and improve its architecture and code quality through small, planned interventions
- Native mobile app development (this is not required, but please let us know if you have this experience)
- Openness to giving and receiving constructive feedback; when you see something that can be improved, you act on it
- Ability to build consensus on sophisticated issues, through your empathy, internal credibility and thoughtfulness
- A professional attitude, strong communication skills, and reliability
- Ability to thrive in a team of dedicated high performers
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice through continued learning, consistently practicing inclusive behaviors, and actively countering bias
What we offer
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- A fantastic and supportive organizational culture
- Starting salary of $100,000-120,000
- Healthcare and dental benefits
- 401K matching
- $1,500 Professional Development budget
- Very generous vacation policy
We are a remote-first organization and can hire for this role from the following states in the USA: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Virginia and West Virginia. Hybrid optional in NYC. CareerVillage.org has team members worldwide, with our HQ in Palo Alto, CA.
CareerVillage is an equal opportunity organization that celebrates diversity (for more information about our approach, check out our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Guidelines). Diversity includes race, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, size, religion, sexual orientation, parental status, socioeconomic background, and many other parts of an individual’s identity. We are a fair choice employer: qualified applicants with a history of arrest or conviction are welcome to apply and will be considered for this role. Each team member’s perspective is integral to our success, and fostering an inclusive environment is everyone’s responsibility. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
To apply, please submit your resume and answer the application questions below.