Bridges for Enterprise
[Role] Global Advisor
This is a volunteer role with an estimated commitment level of 4-6 hrs/month
Who We Are
Founded in 2015 at the University of Cambridge, Bridges for Enterprise (BfE) is a global non-profit that provides pro bono advisory services to early-stage social ventures in developing countries. BfE runs a multi-stage Incubation Programme for startups to receive tailored consulting, finance, legal or technical advisory support from professional mentors and students from one of our five chapters in Cambridge, Singapore, New York, Vancouver, and New Delhi. Our 300+ person global community has helped empower over 100 startups from 30+ different countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America with the goal of making them investor-ready. At the global level, BfE is run on a completely volunteer basis by a Global President and nine Global Heads who oversee five divisions that work within specific areas to propel the Organization’s mission forward.
The Advisor position is a volunteer role supporting BfE’s global management by providing mission-based leadership and strategic guidance. While day-to-day operations are led by the BfE global management team, the Advisor-President relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Advisor is both critical and expected. Advisors are expected to utilize their individual skills, knowledge, expertise and/or relationships to support BfE on an as-needed basis. Advisors also act as advocates and representatives of the Organization. There is no set term limit for BfE Advisors, and both the Global President or Advisor could choose to terminate the relationship at any time.
Please also note that, unlike other non-profits, there is currently no formal Advisory Board structure in place with quarterly meetings. However, Advisors receive monthly internal updates from BfE, have opportunities to engage with other Advisors and global team members, and typically meet with the Global President on an ad-hoc basis every 1-2 months.
- Ambassadorship: Advisors stand for the mission of Bridges for Enterprise and help to raise its profile through effective ambassadorship and, where appropriate, advocacy. They cultivate relationships with individuals, corporations, foundations and educational institutions that will help to access resources, build strategic partnerships and strengthen our commitment to serving social entrepreneurs.
- Strategic Planning: Advisors are active participants in the formulation and oversight of organizational strategy, goals, and objectives in service of the mission. They provide guidance and thought partnership to ensure organizational effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Fundraising: Advisors must be willing to contribute their time, resources, and networks to assist with non-profit fundraising efforts. They are expected to help shape the organization’s fundraising strategy and annual effort to solicit funds to provide unrestricted grants to social entrepreneurs in BfE’s Incubation Programme.
- Other Responsibilities: Bring passion, understanding and commitment to promoting the mission of BfE. Be familiar with BfE programs, its global structure, and history. Review supporting documents, be willing to share contacts, and provide expertise on an as-needed basis.
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in either non-profit fundraising (ideally in the UK) or running a successful social enterprise in an emerging market context.
- A commitment to and understanding of BfE’s core stakeholders, preferably based on prior experience in the social impact ecosystem.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for using entrepreneurship to build a more prosperous and sustainable future.
- Desire to bring diverse perspectives, energy, knowledge and skills to the role.
- Prior professional experience with significant leadership accomplishments.
- Individuals who have a diverse professional experience and/or come from historically under-represented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Advisors will join BfE’s passionate and dedicated global community! Since inception as a small student-run club, BfE has expanded rapidly to become a UK-registered non-profit with an extensive global footprint. Uniquely, BfE is entirely made-up of volunteers (whether as students or professionals) who devote their precious time to accelerate impact creation for social entrepreneurs who may lack the resources and support in growing their venture. Advisors will be able to tap into this expansive network while simultaneously doing their part to build a more sustainable and prosperous future.
Moreover, BfE is at an exciting inflection point in its growth trajectory. For the first time since inception, BfE is now seeking to raise funds to better support its social enterprises by providing unrestricted grants upon graduation from our Incubation Programme. Accessing financial support has always been a thorn in the side of our startups’ growth trajectories, and we would like to do our part by channeling capital directly into their hands to fuel their impact and accelerate the UN SDGs. This new strategy complements our ongoing efforts to professionalize our operations and build technology to automate part of our internal operations and scale more efficiently. We believe that the future of non-profits is tech-driven and volunteer-led, and as the internet continues to flatten the world, a new opportunity is opening up to create direct impact for multiple stakeholders at scale. We hope you’ll join us on this journey.
The application must include a cover letter explaining suitability and motivation for the position and a CV/resume.
We review applications on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply once you are ready. This application will remain open until closed. We look forward to receiving your application!