District Partnerships Manager (K12 Experience Required)
Sales & Business Development
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Avela is a Nobel Prize winning platform for families to navigate their child’s educational journey. Parents can find, apply, register, and pay for school and education for their children, all from a common application system with saved profiles. Avela also powers backend admissions and operational workflows, making it easy for schools, districts, and educational providers to equitably serve students. We’re like “OpenTable for Education” or “Mindbody for Schools.”
We plan to complement our team of experienced sales reps with former district administrators and enrollment experts. This role is only open to individuals who are deeply steeped in the world of PK-12 school enrollment, ideally from working at a large urban school district in an operations, enrollment, IT, or portfolio role. We are looking for candidates who have a natural acumen for sales and partnerships, and are eager to work alongside our sales team to hone your sales skills.
You'll be expected to participate in all parts of the sales process, from lead generation to closing. As a small team, you'll often have to handle things yourself, such as putting together a demo or slide presentation, reading contracts, or negotiating pricing.
Note that we also have a VP Sales role open, which requires significantly more experience. We also have a role for experienced sales reps who have sold to districts or similar gov/ed organizations. This role is for former district administrators who are interested in working in edtech and partnering with districts to sell and implement our solutions - YOU MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE WORKING IN A DISTRICT. PLEASE APPLY FOR ONLY ONE ROLE.
- Sales and Go to Market Strategy - Partner with the CEO and Marketing Lead to determine the Sales Strategy and GTM for Avela, including refining our ideal customer profile, target market, sales criteria, etc.
- Hunting / Demand Generation - We’re still an early stage startup, so you’ll need to drive leads, including cold outreach, networking, etc. Marketing will help, but you'll still need to hunt - that means networking, cold calls, social media outreach, etc.
- Solution Engineering and Business Development - You’re responsible for identifying the best solution to the prospect’s problems and setting them up with the right software and services from our team. You’ll need to understand both the customer needs and our technology intimately so you can recommend the best solution.
- Marketing Support - As a small team, we’ll need you to support marketing efforts, including attending conferences, working the expo booth, posting on social media, networking, etc.
- Contracting, Negotiation, and Closing - Ultimately, your goal is to grow our business by closing deals and driving sales revenue. You’ll have aggressive quotas / target and expected to close business on your own.
- Client Services, Customer Success and More - As a growing startup, we need help across the board, especially with customer support. Everyone pitches in to “take out the trash,” and nothing is “outside your job description.” You’ll no doubt help with customer success and support, as well as potentially project management and service delivery.
- Advise Product Teams - Our product and engineering teams will need your expertise as they design and build our product suite.
- 4+ years of full time K12 district experience, ideally in an enrollment, IT, portfolio, or operations functions
- Extroverted, social, with a knack for selling and networking
- Excellent communicator, including written and oral, native fluency in English
- Capable of producing compelling sales slide presentations
- Capable of negotiating contracts and getting into the weeds to push a deal across the finish line
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive; Extraordinary comfort with ambiguity
- US resident, living within 45 minutes of a major metropolitan airport
- Legal ability to work in the US without Visa sponsorship
Avela is a Nobel Prize-winning edtech startup building the first platform for families to navigate their child's educational journey and a universal application for PK-12 education, daycare, and enrichment programs, promoting equity and access to education. We’re like “OpenTable for Education” or “Mindbody for Schools.”
For students and families, this simplifies the process of finding and applying to educational programming. For schools and districts, this streamlines operations and helps increase enrollment (and hence, revenue).
We sell our application and enrollment platform directly to school districts, charter networks, other educational providers, cities, and states. We work with school districts and charter networks across the country, including in Oakland, Seattle, Hartford, Tulsa, New Orleans, Newark, and Jersey City. We also work with a range of nonprofits and NGOs, including Teach for America and the Inter-American Development Bank, as well as the US Military.
Our platform has four parts to cover each stage of the application journey, from exploring options to applying and final selection and admission:
Avela Explore - Mobile-optimized school finder and opportunity navigator
Avela Apply - Streamlined application management system and tracking
Avela Match - Research-based admission and student assignment lottery system.
Avela Enroll - Online registration, transfers, and enrollment platform with document collection.
We also offer a range of consulting services to help districts implement enrollment reforms and advance equity in educational programs.
Learn more at avela.org.
Avela was founded by a renowned team of visionaries, including Nobel Laureate Joshua Angrist, Clark Medalist Parag Pathak, and social entrepreneur Greg Bybee. We have a passionate team of entrepreneurs, engineers, economists, and data scientists - get to know us at https://avela.org/team.
We love our team and care about their wellness. We strive to offer the best benefits of our peers, including:
-- Significant equity
-- Flexible work policies
-- Unlimited vacation
-- Home office stipend or WeWork membership
-- 401(k) program
-- Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
-- Dependent Care Saving Plan (DCFSA)
-- Commuter Benefits
-- Life Insurance by Guardian (covered 100%)
-- Platinum Medical Plan by UnitedHealthcare (Employees 100%, Dependents 40%)
-- Platinum Dental Plan by Guardian Health (Employees 100%, Dependents 40%)
-- Platinum Vision Plan by Guardian Health (Employees 100%, Dependents 40%)
Learn more at avela.org/careers.
We are a flexible, fully remote company; however all full time employees must live in the United States and meet the work authorization and remote collaboration policies below. #LI-Remote
Although we are strongly supportive of immigrants and individuals of all backgrounds, unfortunately, as a small startup, we are not in a position to sponsor visas and are only able to consider candidates who are authorized to work in the United States without employer sponsorship. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to working together in the future.
Remote Working and Collaboration Norms
As a remote-first company, we think deeply about aligning on shared values and collaboration norms. We trust our team and empower everyone to find the right balance for their productivity, but also seek to facilitate synchronous collaboration and minimize asynchronous latency.
We ask everyone to have access to a quiet environment, free from distractions during working hours with high speed broadband internet. (One of our benefits is that we'll cover a WeWork membership!) Our default is video-on for meetings to foster relationships and allow non-verbal communication cues to come through, however we
For full time roles, we expect colleagues to work a normal business day in a timezone of their choice, so long as there's overlap from 12pm - 6pm ET. This ensures sufficient time for synchronous collaboration, but also facilitates flexibility in your schedule. (We are open to other working arrangements, but this must be approved in advance before joining.) We also expect full time employees to join for biannual week-long team offsites (we cover the costs, of course).
We Encourage You To Apply
Avela is a safe, inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. We strongly encourage you to apply if you are from a marginalized or underrepresented group, even if you don't meet all of the job requirements. If you believe this is a role that you’ll be excited to work in every day, want to be a part of a culture like ours, and will be relentless about pushing boundaries to succeed, please apply.
Tech Stack (for Product/Engineering Roles:
Experience with our specific technologies is not required, even for engineering roles, and our stack is constantly evolving. Here's what we're using now:
-- React + TypeScript
-- Chakra UI with focus on a11y
-- Jest + React Testing Library for unit tests
-- Playwright for end-to-end tests
Back-end + Database:
-- GraphQL with Hasura
-- AWS Lambda with NodeJS / TypeScript and Go.
-- AWS Serverless Services: Fargate, Aurora, S3, SNS
-- AWS RDS with PostgreSQL
-- AWS CDK for Infrastructure as Code
-- AWS CodeBuild and AWS Codepipeline
-- AWS Amplify for Front-End