Customer Success Specialist
Customer Service, Sales & Business Development
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Avela is the first platform for school application, admission, and enrollment with a focus on equity. We're looking for a current/former educator with customer success experience to support and partner with clients as they implement Avela's solutions.
In this role, you'll work closely with our clients to support their implementation of Avela's solutions. You will be the first point of contact for many of our stakeholders, including school administrators.
Our ideal candidate has 4+ years of experience, with at least two years directly supporting customers/clients. We prefer some experience in both education (teaching, administration, nonprofits) and business (startups, technology companies, etc).
Outstanding customer empathy, technical competency, and and partnership acumen is required.
Role Breakdown and Responsibilities
- 40% Customer Support/Systems - You’ll be the first point of contact for responding to a majority of customer support inquiries (tickets): working to understand the root cause of the problem and pointing the customer to relevant resources (including capturing screenshots, writing out detailed steps, etc.) You’ll also work to build out and improve our customer support systems, including our knowledge management (help desk) system, our ticketing system, and customer satisfaction tracking.
- 40% Project Management - Support Program Managers on large-scale implementation projects with new customers, with a path towards owning customer relationships on a subset of post-launch accounts.
- 20% Operational - Support with operational needs for the client services team and more broadly for Avela. This might include quality assurance testing, helping to plan a retreat, providing input on product requirements, and recruitment activities. As a growing startup, we all pitch in to do whatever it takes to build our organization!
- Expertise and experience in each of the above job responsibilities.
- Customer-centric mindset and passion for education, equity, and social impact
- 4+ years of relevant professional experience in an education/edtech organization
- 2+ years experience using a help desk/ticketing system
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral
- Proficiency with Google workspace (Google suite)
- Experience with spreadsheet tools (Google sheets and/or Excel), including comfort manipulating data with formulas
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive, comfort with ambiguity, enjoys wearing many hats
- Among the best at what you do with a growth mindset and desire to constantly improve
- Living in the US with legal ability to work in the US without Visa sponsorship.
- Preferred: Experience with K-12 and/or early childhood education administration, especially in enrollment, recruitment, or other central office operations
- Preferred: ZenDesk experience
- Preferred: Ability to work Central Time or Eastern Time standard business hours
Avela is a Nobel Prize-winning edtech startup building the first universal application for PK-12 education, daycare, and enrichment programs, promoting equity and access to education.
For students and families, this simplifies the process of finding and applying to educational programming. For schools and districts, this streamlines operations and helps increase enrollment (and hence, revenue).
We sell our application and enrollment platform directly to school districts, charter networks, other educational providers, cities, and states. We work with school districts and charter networks across the country, including in Oakland, Seattle, Hartford, Tulsa, New Orleans, Newark, and Jersey City. We also work with a range of nonprofits and NGOs, including Teach for America and the Inter-American Development Bank, as well as the US Military.
Our platform has four parts to cover each stage of the application journey, from exploring options to applying and final selection and admission:
Avela Explore - Mobile-optimized school finder and opportunity navigator
Avela Apply - Streamlined application management system and tracking
Avela Match - Research-based admission and student assignment lottery system.
We also offer a range of consulting services to help districts implement enrollment reforms and advance equity in educational programs.
Learn more at avela.org.
Avela was founded by a renowned team of visionaries, including Nobel Laureate Joshua Angrist, Clark Medalist Parag Pathak, and social entrepreneur Greg Bybee. We have a passionate team of entrepreneurs, engineers, economists, and data scientists - get to know us at https://avela.org/team.
We are a flexible, fully remote company. We just ask that everyone work continental US hours to facilitate collaboration. #LI-Remote
Learn more at avela.org/careers.
Although we are strongly supportive of immigrants and individuals of all backgrounds, unfortunately, as a small startup, we are not in a position to sponsor visas and are only able to consider candidates who are authorized to work in the United States without employer sponsorship. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We Encourage You To Apply
Avela is a safe, inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. We strongly encourage you to apply if you are from a marginalized or underrepresented group, even if you don't meet all of the job requirements. If you believe this is a role that you’ll be excited to work in every day, want to be a part of a culture like ours, and will be relentless about pushing boundaries to succeed, please apply.