Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence
Remote eligible: Persons in these roles are welcome to work remotely from any state in the US.
Compensation Range: $86,520 - $123,600*
*Compensation dependent upon degree attained
Student Researcher - Aristo
Who You Are:
The AI2 Student Researcher Program’s primary objective is to foster academic collaborations with exceptional students through research at AI2. Join us for a paid Student Researcher position that offers the opportunity to work directly with research scientists and engineers at AI2 on cutting-edge research projects. Typically, the program employs a student 1 day/week for 1 academic year (9 months) to work on a selected research project of mutual interest at AI2, with an assigned mentor.
This opportunity is intended for students who are pursuing a BS or PhD degree with an anticipated graduation date after December 2023, depending on their program and unique circumstances. If you are graduating before December 2023, we encourage you to apply to the Research Internship opening.
To start the application process, you will need to identify which research project you are interested in (see Projects at https://allenai.org/), and then apply to the job posting at https://allenai.org/careers. Please ensure your anticipated graduation dates (in MM/YY) and any proficiency in coding languages are listed on the resume.
Who We Are:
Our Aristo team works to build systems that demonstrate a deep understanding of the world, integrating technologies for reading, learning, reasoning, and explanation.
After our success on Eighth Grade Science Exams, the Aristo project has broadened its mission towards problems requiring both reading and explanation. This ambitious undertaking will require new advances in machine reading, natural language understanding, common-sense knowledge acquisition, machine inference, and more. We are looking for motivated people ready to take on a complex challenge with huge potential impact for the future of AI.
Your Next Challenge:
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Reading the scientific literature to investigate and understand AI research
- Executing AI research under guidance of the mentor, which may include building AI systems or system components, developing datasets, and/or conducting experiments
- Meeting with the mentor to discuss research progress and ideas
What You’ll Need:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Be pursuing a BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field
- Have an interest in cutting-edge artificial intelligence research
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Occasionally required to remain seated in a normal position for long periods of time.
- Regularly required to walk short distances
- Regularly required to maintain balance while walking, standing, crouching, or running.
- Routinely required to reach up and out with hands and arms.
A Little More About AI2:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view the related Know Your Rights compliance poster and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision by clicking on their corresponding links.
- Team members and their families are covered by medical, dental, vision, and an employee assistance program.
- Team members are able to enroll in our health savings account plan, our healthcare reimbursement arrangement plan, and our health care and dependent care flexible spending account plans.
- Team members are able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan.
- Team members will receive $125 per month to assist with commuting or internet expenses.
- Team members will also receive up to ten sick days per year, up to seven personal days per year, up to 20 vacation days per year and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the team members(s) of this position. Team members will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the team member(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.