Government Relations Director
About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions—including a groundbreaking new partnership with the National Science Foundation—to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
The results are game changing: Activate Fellows have launched 146 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $1.4B in follow-on funding, created more than 1,800 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; Houston, TX; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
This position plays a critical role for Activate, leading the development and implementation of our fundraising, policy advocacy, and positioning strategy with the federal government, particularly with new agencies and partners.
The Director, Government Relations is responsible for initiating and managing a range of strategies and projects to favorably influence key stakeholders in support of Activate’s government fundraising, partnership, and policy objectives. Working with the Growth, Engagement and Partnerships team, the Director will work with the CGO to develop and execute strategy to impact government stakeholders and opinion leaders about the need to support more entrepreneurial scientists and engineers who are commercializing science to market.
- Initiate, manage, and execute on a range of government strategies and projects in collaboration with other Activate team members, consultants, and third-party stakeholders to secure new funding and new partners and promote Activate’s policy agenda
- Monitor, research, analyze and track key legislation and funding opportunities at the federal levels;
- Identify ad hoc federal funding opportunities and work with Activate’s development team to submit proposals
- Act as a liaison to government staffers, elected officials at the federal levels, government agencies and policy organizations
- Coordinate internal government strategy meetings to track movement of strategies for internal use only
- Manage Activate’s relationship with government relations firm
- Seek opportunities for Activate to serve as a resource to government, including serving on government commissions/working groups/advisory committees, government events/meetings, and testify before legislative committees
- Grow Activate’s network of government relationships and identify ways to engage government personnel in the Activate community
- Develop Activate’s federal policy agenda in collaboration with Activate’s Strategy, Communications, and Engagement team
The Ideal Candi:
- Bachelor's Degree required
- 7+ years experience in government or government relations, including ideally involvement with fundraising, policy advocacy, grassroots and political campaigns or activities
- Track record of winning government awards
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to work as part of cross-functional teams
- Ability to effectively interact with elected and career officials and drive influence
- Familiarity with federal funding award (grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, etc.) legislation and regulations
- Based in Washington DC
- Bonus: Strong contacts across government, with preference for DOE, DOD. As well as NSF, Commerce, and NASA
Encouraging Applications from All Backgrounds
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.