People & Culture Generalist
About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions—including a groundbreaking new partnership with the National Science Foundation—to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
The results are game changing: Activate Fellows have launched 106 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $1.3B in follow-on funding, created more than 1,200 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
Activate’s People & Culture (P&C) team is looking for a Generalist to join us and work on an array of high-impact projects across the P&C umbrella. As Activate’s People & Culture Generalist you will influence every step of the employee lifecycle and enable us to deliver on a truly supportive employee experience. This is a generalist role where you might touch any of the following in the same week: leading recruiting searches, managing a PEO system, coordinating learning & development efforts, generating operational reports, or helping prepare for a new hire’s first day. In this role, you’ll get to impact every employee’s experience and relationship with Activate.
- Deliver an exceptional hiring and candidate experience by ensuring the prompt management of hiring processes, coordinating scheduling, leading improvements on our ATS (Greenhouse), conducting screening calls and facilitating kick-off conversations.
- Enable a smooth and successful onboarding experience by managing the onboarding process, gathering consistent feedback and incorporating improvements to continuously improve new hires’ experience at Activate.
- Lead People Operations efforts including updating our yearly holiday calendar, creating policies around leave and covid management, and be a go-to resource for People Operations and Benefit questions.
- Partner with Sr. Director of People to create resources and coordinate projects around performance management, Diversity & Inclusion, learning & development and employee engagement.
- Lead cultural efforts such as owning a company culture plan, organizing events, and partnering with relevant team members on larger scale quarterly team events.
- Manage low–lift office operations including managing relationships with building management, partnering with certain team members to order supplies, creating processes around parking and mail management. Occasional in-office presence will be required for this role.
- We have an exciting People & Culture strategy and series of projects to work on! This role will include plenty of opportunities to take on additional projects aligned with P&C strategy based on the individual’s interests and experience.
Core skills and competencies
- 3-6 years of professional experience
- Prior exposure to people & culture processes and the employee life cycle
- Attention to detail and ability to be resourceful and self-organized in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding payroll, benefits and employee issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Alignment with our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- High level of empathy and compassion
This is a flexible role with up to 20% in-office responsibilities in our offices in Berkeley, CA. This is a full-time position, and the starting base for this role is at $85,000. We offer a generous bonus structure and a comprehensive benefits package that includes professional development, $2,000 in annual wellness funds, unlimited paid time off, 90% paid healthcare premiums for employees and dependents, and the opportunity to join a retirement plan with a 3% match after one year of employment.
Physical Characteristics of the Work Environment:
- Office-based work
- Typing and computer usage throughout the day
- Must lift and carry a minimum of 15 lbs
- Minimal travel requirements
Encouraging Applications from All Backgrounds
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Something looks off?