Fellowship Recruitment Intern
About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions—including a groundbreaking new partnership with the National Science Foundation—to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
The results are game changing: Activate Fellows have launched 106 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $1.3B in follow-on funding, created more than 1,200 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
Activate is seeking a summer intern to join the Fellowship team to support our recruitment of applicants to the Activate Fellowship. This individual will help us provide more science entrepreneurs the opportunity to change the world with their research.
The Fellowship Recruitment Intern will have the chance to learn the details of Activate’s year-round potential applicant outreach and engagement cycle, support data management and analysis to enable effective recruitment, help diversify our fellowship by partnering with those supporting historically underrepresented populations, and interact with potential applicants and recruitment partners to help them understand our program. Along with the other summer interns, this individual will have the opportunity to explore the world of science entrepreneurship by participating in educational sessions designed for our fellows, get to know the broader Activate staff and network, and generally join a growing, mission-driven non-profit organization poised to help tackle some of society’s greatest problems.
This role is part of the Fellowship functional team and reports to the Program Recruiting, Senior Manager.
- Use project and data management tools to actively maintain recruitment data streams, and report out to the team on progress.
- Support the recruitment strategy to systematically engage key contacts across higher education institutions, research labs, entrepreneurial incubators and accelerators, and other partners to disseminate information about the Activate Fellowship to potential applicants.
- Support efforts to increase the diversity of the fellow applicant pool, including reaching and recruiting applicants from underrepresented communities.
- Drive outreach to policy, business, and technology experts working in science innovation.
- Work closely with the fellowship, partnerships, and marketing teams to execute the recruitment strategy and timeline.
Core skills and competencies
- Has top-notch organizational skills and is highly detail-oriented.
- Has experience with and/or working knowledge of data management, analytics, and reporting with the ability to learn or desire to be able to prepare dashboards, presentations, and narratives to communicate outcomes.
- Has exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to respect and encourage diverse perspectives, and can travel widely to support recruitment events and outreach activities.
- Demonstrates creativity, resourcefulness, and flexibility.
- Is ideally familiar with project management (Asana, Notion), CRM/database (Hubspot, Airtable), and/or GSuite tools (Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides) and is willing to learn others.
- Is interested in innovation, clean energy, climate, or manufacturing sector (or are willing to learn).
- While Activate is a non-profit, it more closely resembles a start-up with a rapidly changing environment. Successful candidates need to be able to switch quickly between topics, track their own deliverables, be comfortable in a results-oriented culture, and be able to work independently and take initiative.
- Believes that scientists and engineers can lead the translation of their research and discoveries into products and businesses that address some of society’s greatest problems.
Physical Characteristics of Work Environment:
- Office-based work environment
- Typing and computer usage throughout the day
Encouraging Applications from All Backgrounds
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Something looks off?