Finance and Accounting Analyst
About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions—including a groundbreaking new partnership with the National Science Foundation—to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
The results are game changing: Activate Fellows have launched 106 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $1.3B in follow-on funding, created more than 1,200 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
Activate is looking for an organized and data-driven Finance and Accounting Analyst to join our team. In this role, the Finance and Accounting Analyst will compile critical reports and analysis used by our leaders to ensure we are poised to make financially sound decisions. You will work closely with the VP Finance, our Grants Analyst, and the accounting team to develop and maintain financial models critical to projecting revenue, allocating payroll, monitoring program expenses, and calculating key metrics, while also contributing to grant spend projections and financial reporting.
- Update monthly and quarterly reports, including reports on Accounts Payables, Accounts Receivables, department budget vs actuals, key metrics, and cash
- Prepare monthly budget vs actual reports, and analyze budget-to-actual variances, identifying inconsistent spending trends and budget overages
- Analyze and allocate payroll data to ensure accuracy and correct reporting in the accounting system and under each grant
- By focusing on process improvement, assist in streamlining complex financial models and tools related to gathering and reporting financial data
- Assist in the annual budgeting process, forecasting income statement and balance sheet accounts, and year-end audit work
- Ensure invoices are properly coded to grants and not over-billed
- Support Fellowship Managers and fellows in coding credit card transactions and resolving Divvy-related issues
- Record journal entries in the accounting system, as requested
- Perform ad hoc analysis to support management inquiries and other projects
- Other duties, responsibilities, and activities, as needed
As the ideal candidate, you…
- Have 0-3 years of experience in finance or accounting
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting
- Have a working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Have a strong understanding of the three financial statements (BS, IS, SCF)
- Have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Sheets (Vlookups, pivot tables)
- Have exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Can maintain strict confidentiality regarding payroll data
- Are self-motivated, adaptable, and able to work independently or as part of a team
- Are comfortable working in an entrepreneurial work environment
- Are enthusiastic about the potential of scientists and the power of science innovation to combat climate change and create a sustainable, resilient, and equitable global economy
Physical Characteristics of Work Environment:
- Preferably based in Boston, MA (but we’re open to remote hires!)
- Office-based work environment; computer usage throughout the day
- No travel requirements, though you might have the option to travel to different Activate communities across the US
Why you'll love working at Activate:
- Knowing your work is contributing serious impact to the world
- Cultivating in-demand skills including your analytical abilities, business acumen, and problem-solving proficiency
- Flexibility to work in the Activate Boston office or remotely
- Competitive salary and benefits
We offer a competitive salary starting at $65,000 a year with a bonus structure, along with a generous benefits package that includes professional development, $2,000 in annual wellness funds, unlimited paid time off, healthcare premiums covered for employees and dependents at 90%, and the opportunity to join a retirement plan with a 3% match beginning after one year of employment.
Encouraging Applications from All Backgrounds
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Something looks off?